Some tips to make the Camino de Santiago by bike when it rains
“São as águas de março fechando o verão, é a promessa de vida no meu coração” Elis Regina sang. The version for this hemisphere is in September: the rains are already part of the landscape of many stages of the pilgrimage route. If for walking pilgrims begins a challenge, complete the Camino de Santiago by bike is an even greater challenge. Let us remember some tips to consider before embarking on a path to Compostela with rain forecast.
1. The visibility is reduced: wearing glasses. Besides the hull, if rain surprises us, in our head should feature clear lenses and amber / orange / yellow color. It helps increase contrast and help us to distinguish the road and what we find over it. Remember that rainfall in northern Spain can be intense and short or very fine and intense. Both pose a difficulty for visibility.
2. Pedal wet is very uncomfortable, choose waterproof clothing. It seems obvious but it is not a pleasure to note that our cotton shirt gets wet and cool despite shine, in rain conditions are even worse because we can get a cold. Waterproof garments are our allies: a waterproof jacket to cover up the trunk and waterproof trousers also be a solution. Do not forget to use nylon or polyester shirts because it dry the sweat and moisture. In line with the first point, the clothes should be bright or reflective colors to compensate for the loss of visibility.
3. Remember, the roads lose grip. Cyclists should not minimize the loss of tire grip on the ground. If you're pedaling along asphalt, crosswalk or any metal lid can cause a skid. To avoid these incidents passes over the bike as perpendicular as possible to the ground, so you will eliminate the risk of falling.
4. Caution when braking is essential. Adherence is smaller on dirt roads during the summer while in the fall, the danger is more on the asphalt. Still, we must remember that the mud of the forest tracks impair the effectiveness of the brakes. The disc braking systems do not suffer less but, anyway, in the rain is good to keep a safe distance and soft stop early. No matter the type of brake that we relocate, we must check the status of the brake pads.
5. We have to brake with the front wheel first. When the road is wet, thanks to the bicycle front wheel stops. Due to inertia at the time of stopping the weight concentrated in the front of the bike so if we stop with the back this will lock and skid on the road. Front brake and the first few moments back. It foresees obstacles. Stops in advance. We have to remember slow gradually to prevent skidding.
6. The curves deserve special attention. An almost sure way to have a mishap is to lean on the bike when we overcome a curve. We have to balance our weight on the opposite curve we go through pedal. The most effective is to stop before the curve and take it at a moderate speed.
7. The fender is an ally. The conditions of rain almost forced to use fenders on both wheels that keep our clothes clean and improve driving.
8. The bicycle chain deserves an appropriate lubrication. In case of rain, we should use a Teflon-based lubricant or petroleum jelly.
9. Proper lighting is essential. We repeat: the visibility is essential. LED lights provide good light and money are quite economical. If the LED lights flash, the better.